Antarctica Dispatch

Journal of my Antarctic experience working to support the United States Antarctic Program.

A Normal Day at the South Pole

4/20/2006

This morning I walked out to the satellite dish (OK, it was the shack next to the satellite dish, which we call the 'RF Building' housing satellite and computer equipment) to do some work. It was -50 F with 26 knot winds. As I left the station with the wind to my back, I could faitly make out outlines in the environment. On a clear night (It's always night now), I can see the beacon atop the satellite dome. That was nowhere to be seen, but I made good progress.

Returning was something else. For one thing the wind is now blowing in my face and I could barely make out the outlines of structures. What I thought was a straght line was really a zig-zag. I look backed at the RF Building to figure out where I was and where I need to go. My headlight's red light (we have to cover our lights with red film to reduce the spectrum output on light sensitive experiments) helped with footing and illuminated what's around some. I made it halfway when I saw beacon lights, but which ones were they? I wasn't lost, but just need to get my bearings. I thought about the guy who was lost the other day off the Antarctic research vessel Laurence M. Gould. I had a radio, and I had shelter around me. Not a problem. 25 minutes later I was back in the station. Not bad for 3/4 mile trek.

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 26, 2006 12:23:00 AM, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Erik, you are truly unbelievable. And you seem to enjoy it too. Question: don't you freeze your doondies off? And do you ever get tired of feeling expungently freezing?

 
At Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:18:00 PM, Blogger Erik said...

Peas -
Nice to hear from you. I'm going to have to start carrying around a non-American English dictionary with the Australian & New Zealand dialects we have down here. Now I've got to understand S. African! My 'doondies' stay quiet warm. It's a Texas thing. As for freezing, well stepping outside to see the southern auroras are the reward. Say hi to Ant.

-Later China

 

Post a Comment

<< Home