Antarctica Dispatch

Journal of my Antarctic experience working to support the United States Antarctic Program.

Twilight

8/16/2006

Believe it or not there is light at the end of the tunnel. In my case it's at the edge of the horizon. Last week we started to see a sliver of the sun. Everyone's all giddy now. You can see a spring in people's step and a glow in their eyes.



I walked out to some of the remote buildings to check on some network devices - MAPO (Univerisity of Chicago), ICECUBE Temporary Counting House (University of Wisconsin), and ARO (NOAA). It added up to about 2 miles. Since it was pretty clear out, I decided try to take the shorter route instead of follow the flag line back to the station and then back out to ARO. The hard part was the massive drifts and sastrugi.

I also just learned that I'm tentatively set to leave this place outpost at the Bottom of the World on November 2. Yes, I'm quite excited!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home