Antarctica Dispatch

Journal of my Antarctic experience working to support the United States Antarctic Program.

300 Club

7/10/2006

At 0502 NZT, we hit -100 F. Jeff, one of the meteorologists, called me around 0520 to let me know the news, and that he was heading out around 0600. I was just getting up to go workout, so this was kinda perfect. Still I had lingering reservations about shedding my clothes and running outside with fellow Polies as part of a long-time Winter-Over tradition. Was this modesty?

In any case I got part of my workout done, grabbed my robe, and with nothing more than my socks, shoes, and a towel around my waist, I headed for the Sauna. There were already a few hearty souls who had already returned from their quest. I waited with others for the temperature to reach above 200 F. After building up a sweat, we headed out down the hallway, out to the 'beer can', and then finally outside to the Pole marker and back, all in our 'birthday suits' - OK, except for shoes, socks, a neck gator, and cap.

Am I crazy or what?

*Jeff posted pictures on his site.

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 11, 2006 6:59:00 PM, Blogger Champagne Heathen said...

Bluddy insane!

 
At Sunday, July 16, 2006 9:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Erik, I just watched "8 Below", (strange title for a Disney movie, but I digress) which takes place at the South Pole. Gotta be a hearty soul to work in a place like that. Isn't this the worst time of year (July) to be down there? How far have you trekked out from the base?

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006 2:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liked the reading!! What a picture to view--of the bare butts!!

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006 7:47:00 AM, Blogger Greg Barton said...

d00d! We used to do this every winter at St Olaf. OK, so we only had a 200 degree spread. :)

Glad to see you're doing well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home