Antarctica Dispatch

Journal of my Antarctic experience working to support the United States Antarctic Program.

Heading back down

1/21/2007

I guess my year at the South Pole wasn't enough of an adventure because I signed up to go back down to Antarctica. This time I'll be at McMurdo for a change of pace and where there's more opportunity for wildlife spotting. One nice thing that I got out of my endeavors was a quote in WIRED magazine which "reports on how technology affects culture, the economy, and politics." To read the article, click here.

Since getting off the Ice back in November, I spent about a month in New Zealand's South Island. It's such a pleasant place to visit, and I know I barely scraped the surface. I wanted to see so much more, but in the end I really wanted to go back 'home'. It's amazing how much things change in a year. I arrived back in Colorado to see new buildings and things/people in a different 'light'. After 24+ hours travelling I opened the door to my place to see it exactly like I left it.

From then until now I've been trying to catch up with friends and along the way I starting dating someone of the female species which I'd been deprived of for so long. I got to enjoy an awesome day of skiing at Winter Park with fresh powder, go snowshoeing, and snow camp as if I hadn't gotten enough back down in Antarctica.

Colorado has been inundated with snow these last two months. The roads were pretty treacherous today on my departure date. It took us 2+ hours to get to the airport which is usually 40 minutes. Our flight was scheduled to depart at 4:20 PM, but it would take 1.5 hours before we pulled away from the gate and got 'deiced'. Finally at 5:55 MST we rolled down the runway, and my travel back down to the Seventh Continent began once again. This time though there was something tugging at me. I was leaving a girl behind, not to see her for months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home