Antarctica Dispatch

Journal of my Antarctic experience working to support the United States Antarctic Program.

Happy Birthday ATM!

6/26/2007

Although the McMurdo Store has a credit card reader, it's still mostly a 'cash' business down here. People need $$ to rent gear (instruments, skis, etc.), pay a bar tab, bowling, etc. There are a couple of ways to get cash - bring enough down with you, use a RCD (Remote Cash Disburshment) from your paycheck, or use the ATM. Yes, an ATM. Who knew that 40 years ago John Shepherd-Barron invented this device.

Here are the two McMurdo ATM machines, brought to us by Wells Fargo.


Believe it or not, I located it online. However the zip code and directions weren't correct.


I remember when these started coming out. Now they're all over the place. I think my parents continue to write checks out to 'Cash' instead of using these machines. Although ATMs make it easier for people to recieve currency, I remember from my Macroeconomics class how ATM use increases the velocity of the M1 money supply.

1 Comments:

At Saturday, November 29, 2008 11:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember reading that there were ATMs in Antarctica years ago; I thought it was just a rumor, but now I see that it's true.

Good mercy...how hefty are the ATM transaction fees for using those things, and how does Wells Fargo drive the armored car out there to replenish the cash? o.O

 

Post a Comment

<< Home