Antarctica Dispatch

Journal of my Antarctic experience working to support the United States Antarctic Program.

9/11

9/12/2006

The first plane hit at 08:45 EST, which makes it 12:45 AM on September 12 here at the South Pole. We didn't hold any service or moment of silent. About that time everyone is already silent in bed. I remember my mom telling me she remembers where she was when President Kennedy was shot (way before my time). There are two events I recall where I was and what I was doing:
1) The Gulf War (1991)
2) 9/11/2001

I was on my way to work in Downtown Denver on the bus when someone mentioned the Twin Towers were hit. Being in Denver I think many of us didn't know what the person was talking about. It wasn't until I got into work that I learned the whole story.

My parents were flying out of Denver that day, so I called them and told them they probably wouldn't be flying today or until the end of the week for that matter. I think it was a few hours into work, that the powers that be decided to evacuate our building. We all went home, and for the next few days we reflected on the day's events and were awed by the silence in the skies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home