Antarctica Dispatch

Journal of my Antarctic experience working to support the United States Antarctic Program.

Cinco de Montho

6/5/2006

I’ve slowly updated my blog. I almost let the whole month of May go by. My compatriots Neal & Patrick are almost religious in keeping theirs up. Of course the rumor is Patrick’s trying to woo a blogger who’s commented on his site, which is why he’s keeping fresh material up. You might want to check their sites out for some humor. Also you’ll note that Neal has quite a fan club, so if you’re reading this blog, please leave a comment here or two so I know it’s getting read

It's about 5 months until the first plane arrives, so somehow we've got to keep our eggs persevered else I guess we'd be having powdered ones. I never heard about 'oiling' eggs to preserve them, but that's what we all did tonight. The galley bought 'cervezas' and we went through cases of eggs, oiling them to seal them and rotating them to keep them from compacting on one side. Supposedly it's great fun, but I think the beers brought everyone in. Then the comrade spirit kicked in.

6 Comments:

At Sunday, June 11, 2006 10:32:00 AM, Blogger --TBAS said...

I asked around--no-one here's ever heard of oiling eggs either. But I have to admit, a bottle of the golden liquid makes an excellent bribe.

 
At Sunday, June 11, 2006 3:36:00 PM, Blogger skua76 said...

Hi Erik...
Egg oiling has progressed a bit...last year we did it in the kitchen and I didn't know about turning them upside down. Still, beer was consumned and we had good eggs all winter :)

During my first winter in the old days, oiling hadn't been invented yet. The last few started going bad before we ran out in June. Then we had frozen bottled eggs and Navy powdered eggs from the old station...yuk!

 
At Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife grew up on a poultry farm. She understands the reason for the oiling but thinks that turning the eggs over is taking a big risk of breaking a membrane and ruining the egg.
I've heard of long distance sailors doing the same thing with wax though that sounds like a lot more work.

 
At Thursday, July 06, 2006 1:48:00 AM, Blogger DaMasta said...

Hmmm..never hoyd of that either. Btw, your blog is being read. :P

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006 2:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder if my ancestors did this? Another interesting experience to 'chalk up' in your memories.

 
At Monday, April 11, 2022 12:39:00 AM, Anonymous Sofia Lambert said...

First time reading this, thanks for sharing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home